Friday, July 6, 2007

Continued.

Well I am glad to say that my time in Plett and my very brief time here in Mossel Bay don't need quite the depth that I owed Khayelitsha. Plett is a small resort town on the Indian Ocean here in South Africa, quite the hotbed of activity during the summer. As I previously said, the ride on the backpacker bus (a 19 seater, kind of like the "short bus" for lack of a better comparison) was long... about 9 hours in total. I spent my time in Plett doing exactly what I hadn't been able to do in Cape Town- relaxing. My guesthouse was a 2 minute walk from Robberg Beach, a 4 km strand of white sand beach, protected from the houses and streets by hilly sand dunes. 2 of my 3 full days in Plett I spent wandering the beaches, and wandering into town. The middle day of that timespan, I went on a horseback safari at the Plettenberg Bay Game Reserve. It's nothing like Kruger National Park (obviously), but for the time and the money, it was well worth it. As for Mossel Bay... well I'm very glad that I will only be staying tonight. And I will leave you with that... and LOTS of pictures.

Robberg Beach, Plettenberg Bay

One end of Robberg Beach - Beacon Isle

Other side of Beacon Isle - the coast off of Main Beach

That's me in the Indian Ocean! Give me a break, it's winter here.

Plettenberg Bay Game Reserve, view from the lodge

Rhinos

Zebras

View of one side of the reserve from the top of the hills

View of the other side of the reserve from the top of the hills

Giraffes

The lioness of the reserve

A little closer... don't worry, the lions were actually enclosed.

My horse, Spot! He used to be a polo horse.

Impala

Hippo (which account for the most wild-animal-related deaths in South Africa)

Blue wildebeest

Those little shells are actually little sea slug-like creatures called plough shells. They surf the tide in when the current is safe (no joke) and feed on dead marine life, such as this gigantic jellyfish. I saw at least 5 or 6 of these, different times, different days.

View from the hill into the town of Plett

Locals fishing off of the point of Beacon Isle. Dad, this is the point John was talking about.

One more thing before I'm off for a shower and then to bed... taking pictures on horseback is incredibly difficult. Do anything on horseback is incredibly difficult, especially when you have a stubborn horse like my little Spot. For a horse and a human, I think the two of us had a lot in common.

Back to Cape Town tomorrow afternoon, where I will be until Monday night. I *should* be back in LA Tuesday afternoon. Hopefully more to update later!

Love from the Garden Route.

4 comments:

Justin Brandt said...

even in south africa, you can't avoid the short bus :)

Anonymous said...

I loved the rhinos and I think my sister would love to ride the short bus next time you should bring her with you to ride it.

ryan martin

Anonymous said...

ryan,

your parents, your sister and all of the linn friends have been consulted. By a unanimous vote you will be one of the passengers on the short bus. here is more great news... your sister gets to drive!

'da rhino

Anonymous said...

Erin,

We're so glad to hear you're safe and having an amazing time. We just got back from our trip and I was pretty proud of my picture of the squirrel eating an ice cream cone out of the trash can until I saw your pictures! Just kidding! I can't wait to hear your stories in person and see ALL the amazing pictures. Stay safe - see you shortly!

Lots of love,
Tim, Stacy, Ryan and Cassie